Friday, August 29, 2008

MEET RONIL SINGH

He loves village life. Staying among the villagers in Nadrau up in Nadarivatu is the best thing that has ever happened to him. Ronil Singh, a primary school teacher at Nadrau Fijian School never regretted being posted to the interior of Viti Levu.

In fact he wished it had come earlier on in life ahead of all the difficulties he faced. But he believes that it was the reward of all his hard work and sacrifice which he made earlier on. Life had not been fair for this 21-year-old who had dreamt of becoming a lawyer.

After graduating from high school with a gold medal he won for scoring the highest chemistry marks in FSLC in the Ba zone, he enrolled for the University of the South Pacific's Bachelor of Law degree.

While he was accepted to do that program, it was finance that mattered. Since his parents were ordinary sugar cane farmers in Naba Tolu, Ba, there was no chance of him being a private student

He banked on a scholarship, but that too evaded him. Ronil's only other option was to become a teacher. During his two years at the teacher's college, Ronil also worked part time at a freight company in Nadi at the weekend to sustain his wants.

"Whatever I earn from working at the weekend, was used for my LTC affairs," he said. After two years of teacher training, he finally became a primary school teacher. But he waited for 10 months to get his first posting. "When I was posted to Nadrau, I received that opportunity with both hands," he said.

"At first I didn't know where I was going, but I knew that was my calling so I had to go. Being away from home in an unknown environment, Ronil said was one of the biggest challenges in his life.

"I was there alone, I have to cook my own food and wash my own clothes. I felt so lonely I wanted to run away." But he realised that running away from reality was not what life was about. He stayed on and had to counter it. He said that what made life easy there was that he had basic necessities in his two bedroom house like water and electricity.

"The villagers are the owners of Monasavu so we have electricity up there," he said. "And we have television and mobile network there too." To reduce being homesick, he had approached a student to stay with him in quarters.

"So it's me and Voniani at home," he said. Ronil said that Voniani's parents had allowed their son to stay with him. "He helps me and I help with his school fees and other needs." "I thank his parents for realising my request and allowing us to stay together."
"He is a bright student and I feel that there is a need for me to nurture him so that he can be someone in life." Ronil loves his village life so much, he sometimes wishes that he remains there forever.
Adpted from Fijitimes Online