Sunday, September 9, 2007

AKESA OF NASAIBITU WINS GOLD IN SAMOA

FIJI'S uprising star Akesa Drotini missed out the opportunity to notch her second gold medal after pulling out of the women's 1500m due to a pulled muscle.
Officials from the Team Fiji camp yesterday said it was not serious and the timid 14-year-old Wainibuka lass sat comfortably cheering her team-mates on from the Apia Park Stadium.
"It was nothing serious only a pulled muscle caused after the long distance run in the 5000m race," the official who preferred to remain anonymous said.
"I guess this is was due to the fact that coaches forgot to get her warmed down after the win as everyone was excited and got carried away," he said.
The class eight student made a sterling debut at the 13th South Pacific Games scooping Fiji's first ever gold medal in the 12-round 5000m race.
"It was her decision and we respected that as she's the one that's going to run," the official said.
Drotini who is still the talk of the town amongst athletics fans in Apia said she had no regrets but will be back to defend her gold in four years time.
"I just didn't feel too well to run again because of my pulled muscle on my calf and I'm grateful to the coaches for understanding," she shyly said.
"I feel like I've let them down but I know I have a long way to go in athletics and will train hard to come back to win gold for Fiji in the next SPG," she said.
Drotini heads back to her Nasaibitu village in Tailevu where a grand celebration awaits her.

Adapted from Fijitimes Onine